Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Black and White

I attended a Black and White Masquerade last night at Sofitel Philippine Plaza, where everything and everyone was nothing but glitz and glamour. It was The Philippine Star’s Christmas party and it was like a parade of beauties all rolled into one. The theme was black and white and everyone must wear a mask. As expected, everyone came in their best masquerade outfit and i had fun people-watching. I remembered I was one of the many who voted for the masquerade theme because I have always wanted to attend a ball where everyone’s identity is concealed. Maybe because I believe that we are all really hidding under invisible masks everyday, trying to hide something we only want to keep to ourselves. No wonder masks look mysterious…and lonely,too.

I quietly sat down at the corner table and wonder what could have been hidden under the masks of these people. I, myself, have been feeling a different kind of tension that I constantly find myself walking outside the room and into the cool,dark place where the bay is at view. Ah, that was the perfect place to unmask, nobody’s there to judge should I happen to reveal a not so beautiful me. Nobody’s there to laugh should I happen to be my stupid, clumsy self. Nobody’s there to be disappointed should I happen to be imperfect. Nobody’s there to know that I was hurting. So much that I just wanted to wear my mask forever. There were a lot of things that were unseen and pretentions…sometimes it can get very tiring.

I went back inside the room and though I was no longer wearing my mask, I can still feel as though I still have one. I welcomed myself to the place where everything was just black and white… We all belong here anyway. And for a while, I convinced myself that it was a whole lot better here, because it is an escape to some realities that I can’t take anymore.

***

unmasked

no pretentions. :)

“God has given you one face, and you make yourselves another.”

-William Shakespeare

***

Take a bow, the night is over
this masquerade is getting older

lights are low, the curtains down

There’s no one here.
Say your lines but do you feel it?
Do you mean what you say when there’s no one around

Watching you, watching me

one lonely star.

I’ve always been in love with you
I guess you’ve always known its true
You took my love for granted why? oh why?
The show is over say goodbye.

Make them laugh it comes so easy
When you get to the part where you’re breaking my heart
Hide behind your smile, all the world loves a clown.

Wish you well I cannot stay
You deserve an award for the role that you played
No more masquerade, you’re one lonely star.

All the world is a stage
and everyone has their part
but how was I to know which way the story’d go
how was I to know you’d break my heart.

I’ve always been in love with you.

No comments: